Thursday, March 17, 2011

So... I'm in Desperate need of Coffee...

P1857

Let's ignore the fact that both the heat and caffeine in coffee reeks havoc on my face (thanks to the Celtic curse known as Rosacea).

Last night was rough! Ember kept us up most of the night, then to seek refuge I went to the couch... where I tossed and turned for the next 3 1/2 hours until my alarm went off.

So in the hopes of getting a little extra boost this morning I head into a Dunkin Doughnuts near my clients office in Boca. I'm stoked, I can almost taste that wonderfully bitter black coffee as I walk up to the door... But then horror strikes.

A makeshift sign hangs on the door...

"CASH ONLY! sorry."

Ugh. Of course I only have a $1.00 on me the day the credit card machine is down.

Feeling optimistic and perhaps slightly too exhausted to think clearly I proceed in anyways in hopes that maybe the machine will accept a debit transaction.

No dice.

Then something wonderful happens.

The manager proceeds to ask... "What did you want to order?"

A small black coffee I reply.

And then magically he returns with a small, steaming cup of black coffee and says "Don't worry about it, you can pay for it later."

What?

I can have it anyway?

Wait a minute... Is today some sort of holiday? Oh wait, today is a holiday!

My guess is they were handing out the drinks anyway just to keep the regulars happy but for a minute there I though to my self..."Wow, I must look like I really needed it!".

Maybe it was a little of both.

Needless to say I'm now sipping the finest free coffee and ready to take on the rest of the day.

Thank you Dunkin Doughnuts manager guy and Happy St. Patricks Day everybody!

Posted via email from Joe Shockley's Data & Sound

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Every once in a while, you find somebody who's not a dick. That's a smart manager.