Sunday, October 24, 2010

When are young girls gonna stop using the "stranded, no money for gas" con?

Scenario: I pull up to a Gas Station and a young girl asks...

"Do you have a few dollars I can have? I'm stranded with out my wallet, I live in Boca and I need gas!"

This isn't the first time I've heard this con.

Me: "Oh man, that sucks. Where's your car?"

Girl: "Oh, um... It's down the street?"

Me: "Do you need help getting it to the gas station?"

Girl: "No, I just need a few dollars to get home."

Me: "OK, but how are you going to get gas in the car if it's down the street? Do you have a gas can?"

Girl: "Um, No... I just need a few dollars and I'll take care of the rest."

She's getting irritated now, I'm a poor mark and she's already looking for other guys at the gas station to sell her story to.

Me: "Yeah, that's what I thought. Well, I don't have any cash, but I could use my card to spot you $5.00 to get home"

Girl: "Oh forget it!"

As she storms off.

Me: "That sounds like a great idea!" said with a great big smile.

I've got no problem helping out someone who truly needs it, but when you smell a con it usually is just that, a con.

While I was pumping gas she was pretending to call her mom to amp up the story for the next guy to over hear. Then a cop pulled up, she suddenly didn't need any spare change and just went walking.

On to the next gas station...

Posted via email from Joe Shockley's Data & Sound

No comments: